45 Recertification Points
Instructor: Dr. Nate Sleeter
Center for History and New Media 4400 University Drive, MSN 1E7 Fairfax, VA, 22030-4444
Hidden in Plain Sight is an online course designed for Virginia social studies teachers. In this course, teachers will explore America's past by examining everyday objects, images, and texts. Each of these primary sources will address a different period in American history. There are no in-person class meetings; all course work is completed online through the course website.
The course is designed as a series of eight online modules. The first module focuses on historical thinking; the remaining seven modules are centered on objects that speak to a broad topic in American history. Participants may choose which modules they would like to complete for the course. In each module, you will complete activities that allow you to engage in the historical inquiry process and provide opportunities to think about classroom applications.
Students enrolled in Hidden in Plain Sight are expected to work through each module and complete all required assignments. Modules are due by stated deadlines and all work must be completed by December 14. Assignments in each module include:
- Introduction: Write a hypothesis about the primary source's role in history.
- Resources Section: Explore other resources that reveal the story hidden behind each source.
- Connections Essay: Read a short essay to learn more about the topic.
- Rethink: Reflect on what you have learned and respond to the question posted.
- Classroom Connections: Reflect on classroom applications.
- Wrap-up: Read what classroom activity ideas that other teachers have posted on the topic.
|October 19||Course Begins|
|October 26||Complete Module 1 (Analyzing Objects)|
|November 2||Complete Module 2|
|November 9||Complete Module 3|
|November 16||Complete Module 4|
|November 23||Complete Module 5|
|November 30||Complete Module 6|
|December 7||Complete Module 7|
|December 14||Complete Module 8|
Course fee will be refunded only for participants who drop before the course official start date.